Thursday, December 16, 2004

Lo-fi prototyping & Viso

Some of you will know that I'm keen on using lo-fi prototyping, or at least the UI flow sketching part, to elicit requirements on user interfaces (static/dynamic aspects) and functionality.

Whilst practising this and trying to sell the technique into an existing project I came across the term wireframing, a term I'd not heard before withint this context. Wireframing refers to the practice of rendering a skeletal GUI and all its navigation paths in a sequence of diagram. This process assists in the process of gathering data, ui and functional requirements. Its relationship with lo-fi prototyping is that lo-fi includes wireframing, but in a lo-tech fashion, i.e. no Visio.

Some people believe you can use HTML to produce your wireframes. I'm not convinced. Wireframing is about diagraming something, preferably with a user. Feels like the most appropriate tool for diagramming would be a diagramming tool. One of the values of using HTML is that the navigation paths can be demonstrated. I imagine this could work for simple user interfaces but be hard to get right for complex ones. I also value being able to draw these diagrams whilst sitting with the user or business expert. I suspect having to diagram in a wysiwig HTML editor would just get in the way and reduce the interactivity.

All in all I prefer to use pencil and paper with a user and then, if really needed, translate that into an editable electronic representation.